Hello! My name is Joseph Ouma Ogola, I am 26 years old. I
am from the Luo tribe, our first language is Luo. The J-Ten Project, where I live, is in Kawiya village, 30
kms from the town Homa Bay in Kenya.
I have been learning and implementing everything I can about permaculture. Doing a Permaculture Design Certificate will let me learn properly so I can bring a great change within the J-Ten Project catchment areas.
What is the J-Ten Project?
The J-Ten Project is a community project that was started by 4 women and 6 men. We teamed up and formed a community group after seeing a great valley of poverty in the village that is making the people die a lot due to lack of food. We were touched and selected 20 orphan children and 15 widows.
We started supporting them with the little we got from our garden, and we have been growing our garden as quickly as possible, with crop farming, agro-forestry, aquaculture, bee keeping, and poultry.
Why a Permaculture Design Course?
By doing the next PDC in Arusha, I will be able to come back and design for our area, and teach the widows, orphans, and the 4 women and 6 men developing J-Ten Project, new and innovative ideas for living through the Nature by gardening.
“You can solve all the world’s problems, in a garden.” Geoff Lawton
Our Primary Goal:
Our aim is to upgrade the living standard of the poor people within the J-Ten Project catchment areas, so that there are no more people dying in our area from lack of food.Already we have people visiting our gardens keen to learn, so by doing a Permaculture Design Certificate Course I will be able to pass on truly useful and effective information which will spread through our region.
Please help me to raise the money I need to do the Jan/Feb 2015 PDC in Arusha, Tanzania.
The USD$1,500 will pay for:
- Course fees (scholarship rate) with FoodWaterShelter http://www.foodwatershelter.org.au/default.aspx
- Accommodation (Kesho Leo Volunteer Village)
- Return transport to Arusha (9hrs by buses one way)
- Travel insurance
Here is a summary of what the Permaculture Design Course involves:
The Permaculture Design Course (PDC) is an internationally recognised certificate course covering every major topic in Permaculture: a Designers Manual.
I will learn a broad range of topics applicable to life anywhere on this planet, and create designs for real world projects such as food forests, permaculture-style gardens, natural building, water catchment, and irrigation systems. Because the course is held at a place already implementing Permaculture practices, l will see the incredible effects of permaculture in action.
Permaculture itself is built on a set of Principles derived from the ecological patterns, scientific knowledge, and indigenous wisdom of this planet, and is guided by a set of ethics that guide us toward care for people, care for the earth and conscious consumption.
Major topics of the Permaculture Design Course include the following:
- Philosophies and Ethics underlying permaculture
- Basic permaculture principles
- Patterns in Nature and how to use that in permaculture design
- Methods of design: applying permaculture design methodology and strategies to meet design goals.
- Climactic factors and strategies for all major climates.
- Trees, forests and forest gardening: mimicking forest systems to create an abundance of food, fibre, and fodder.
- Water: catchment, usage, importance, and conservation.
- Soil structure, minerals, and microorganisms, building new soil and preventing erosion. Working with the soil food web to create a healthy ecosystem and regenerate degraded land.
- Earthworks: shaping the land to help it achieve the goals we are aiming for.
- Natural Building: building structures with materials available on-location.
- Alternative systems: community living and other ways of living that work well for both people, and the planet. Bioregional organisation, community development, alternative economic systems, permaculture as aid.
The Permaculture Design Course is often a launching-off point to gain the inspiration, information and the community support to choose a lifestyle that brings greater holistic success.